Louisiana Bread Pudding
This dish is comfort wrapped up in a blanket sitting in front of a fire. Add a touch of bourbon and pecans to round out the gooey goodness.
1. Preheat oven to 350° and grease 2-18 oz ramekins with butter.
2. Hollow out French bread loaf avoiding any hard crust pieces. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix together eggs, sugar, milk, buttermilk, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
4. Cover the bottom of the ramekins with a layer of the French bread pieces.
5. Spoon 1/3 cup of the egg mixture over the bread. Push down with a fork to make sure all pieces are saturated.
6. Repeat this process until the baking dishes are full.
7. Bake for 40-45 minutes. The top should be a light golden brown. Allow the bread pudding to sit for at least 10 minutes before adding the sauce.
8. While the bread pudding is cooling, melt the butter and brown sugar together in a heavy saucepan over medium heat stirring constantly.
9. Once sugar is dissolved and the mixture starts a slow boil...remove from heat and add the bourbon and vanilla. Let cool for 5 minutes.
10. Spoon the sauce over the bread pudding and add pecans, banana slices or raisins if desired.