Louisiana Bread Pudding
This dish is comfort wrapped up in a blanket sitting in front of a fire. Add a touch of bourbon and pecans to round out the gooey goodness.
1. Preheat oven to 350° and grease 2-18 oz ramekins with butter.
2. Hollow out French bread loaf avoiding any hard crust pieces. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix together eggs, sugar, milk, buttermilk, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
4. Cover the bottom of the ramekins with a layer of the French bread pieces.
5. Spoon 1/3 cup of the egg mixture over the bread. Push down with a fork to make sure all pieces are saturated.
7. Bake for 40-45 minutes. The top should be a light golden brown. Allow the bread pudding to sit for at least 10 minutes before adding the sauce.
9. Once sugar is dissolved and the mixture starts a slow boil...remove from heat and add the bourbon and vanilla. Let cool for 5 minutes.
6. Repeat this process until the baking dishes are full.
8. While the bread pudding is cooling, melt the butter and brown sugar together in a heavy saucepan over medium heat stirring constantly.
10. Spoon the sauce over the bread pudding and add pecans, banana slices or raisins if desired.