Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes
These festive cupcakes are so delicious and easy. Perfect for your holiday party!
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 12-cup muffin tin with baking cups.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, add butter, coconut oil and water. Heat in microwave on half power until melted.
3. In a large bowl, add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, corn starch and salt. Whisk together until combined.
4. Add the melted butter mixture and whisk until smooth.
5. Add the egg and mix. Then add the buttermilk and vanilla and beat until smooth.
6. Using a pastry bag or a spoon, fill the baking cups with the batter until 1/2 full.
7. Bake the cupcakes for about 20-22 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool slightly, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.
For the Peppermint Buttercream
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add butter and beat until smooth and creamy.
2. Add the vanilla, peppermint extract and salt. Mix until smooth.
3. While mixing on low, slowly add the powdered sugar. Mixture will be clumpy.
4. Slowly add the heavy whipping cream scraping down the edges halfway through. Gradually increase mixing speed to high and beat for 1-2 minutes.
To Decorate the Cupcakes:
1. Using a cupcake corer, remove the insides of the cupcakes. Save the pieces.
3. Add buttercream icing filling piping bag about halfway to the top. The red color will create a swirl pattern in the icing.
2. In a large piping bag with a large round tip, swirl red gel icing all around the inside of the bag.
4. Fill the cupcake hole with the icing and top with the cored piece.
5. Pipe icing onto the cupcakes in a swirl pattern.
6. Sprinkle with crushed candy cane.