Italian Wedding Soup
Delicious and healthy soup! Great for a rainy night or any time you want to slow down.
1. In a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, warm the olive oil.
2. Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 7 minutes.
3. Stir in the garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Add the wine and tomato and bring to a boil.
4. Add the kale and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
5. Stir in the stock and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover partially and simmer until well flavored, about 1 hour.
6. In a bowl, combine the chicken, the cheese, the bread crumbs, egg, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. black pepper and 1 tsp. red chili pepper flakes. Get a baking dish and scoop out your meatballs.
7. Drain the beans, rinse with cold running water and drain again. Season with red chili pepper flakes. D
iscard the bay leaves and add the beans. Add 1 cup of water. Increase the heat under the soup to medium and bring to a light boil.
8. Drop rounded tablespoons of the chicken mixture into the soup. Their texture will firm up on contact with the hot liquid.
9. Cover and cook until the meatballs are cooked through, about 12 minutes.