Homemade Oreo Cookies
Skip the store bought Oreos and make some yourself!
For the cookies
1. Mix together flour, cocoa, espresso powder, salt and baking soda with a whisk and set aside.
2. In a stand mixer or in a large bowl cream together the butter and coconut oil. Add the sugar and golden syrup and mix until well combined.
3. Add the egg, and mix until well-combined.
4. Add half of the flour and mix on low speed until just combined.
5. Then add the rest of the flour and mix on low scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula when needed. The mixture will be very thick just holding together.
6. Separate dough in half and cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes until firm. Preheat oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
7. Roll out the dough until ¼-inch thick using an equal mix of flour and cocoa powder to keep from sticking.
8. Use a circular cookie cutter to cut out circles of dough. It is your choice how big to make the circles. I recommend around 2” to 3” cookie cutters.
9. If you have a cookie stamp, press it firmly into the top of each cookie to make an impression. If it is sticking, dust it lightly with cocoa/flour powder in between cookies.
10. Place the cookies on the baking sheets, and bake for 8 minutes. Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the filling
1. Cream together shortening, vanilla and salt.
3. Add the rest of the powdered sugar and water, beating until smooth. The mixture will be stiff, but should be flexible enough to sandwich between your cookies.
2. Add half the powdered sugar and half of the water. Mix on low speed until incorporated scraping down the edges when necessary. Put mixer on medium speed and blend well.
Creating the cookies
1. Roll a ball of filling between your hands and place on the bottom of one of the cookies.
2. Take another cookie and sandwich the filling pressing down until aligned with the edge.