Upside Down Chocolate Meringue Bites
A new twist on an old favorite. Chocolate pie fans will "flip" for this recipe!
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk egg whites on medium speed until bubbles start to form.
2. Add cream of tartar and continue whisking until foamy and soft peaks start to form.
3. Increase mixing speed to medium-high. While mixer is running, add sugar, one tablespoon at a time. This may take 5-10 minutes to add all the sugar.
4. Once all sugar is added continue to mix until meringue is thick and glossy. Beat in vanilla extract and incorporate.
5. Transfer meringue to the piping bag. Make circle base with meringue on the prepared baking sheet, and without lifting the tip, pipe 2-3 circles on top of the outer edge to create a nest.
6. Place in the oven and bake for 3 hours. Turn off the oven and, without removing, let meringues cool completely for at least one hour, or overnight.
1. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, unsweetened cocoa, and salt. Gradually whisk in both milks.
2. Cook, whisking constantly, over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minute whisking continuously.
3. Remove from heat and gradually whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Continue to add hot mixture to egg yolks while whisking constantly until approximately 1/4 of the mixture has been added to the egg yolks.
4. Pour egg yolk mixture into the saucepan and whisk well. Cook mixture, stirring constantly, over medium heat for 3 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and whisk in butter and vanilla extract.
6. Cover and cool for 5-10 minutes before adding to meringue nests.
Making the Chocolate Meringue Bites
1. Use a pastry bag to fill meringue with chocolate.
2. Top with graham cracker and serve.